Sunday, March 05, 2006

Tigres Guatemala vs. Tiburones Tapachula

Tigres Guatemala hosted Tiburones Tapachula, a Mexican semi-pro football team (that’s right, American football), at Campo de Marte last weekend. Until now Guatemala has never really had a football league or team to speak of, but with the support of one of the Castillo boys (son of the owner’s of Pollo Campero, our favorite chicken camp--the Guatemalan version of KFC, only better), and some new equipment from the States, Guate is now fielding a team Mexico’s semi-pro league felt might prove decent competition. Sadly, I have seen Mexican “pro” games on ESPN down here, and thought my brother John’s high school Munising Mustangs could handle them without breaking a sweat, so my expectation weren’t very high. And having grown up in small towns in Michigan, I can still say with a clear conscience that I have never stepped foot in a stadium so shoddy, nor have I seen such lousy football ever played in my life.

(Guatemala vs. Tapachula)

After the first series, I think the “Sharks” from Tapachula had wished they hadn’t come. After their 45 yard kickoff return, Guatemala drove their offense back to the 5 yard line in three downs, then blocked their punt. Guatemala would go on to block three more punts, send three of their players off on stretchers, and win 38-0. It was a sad day for Tapachula. While it’s doubtful Guatemala’s national soccer team will ever get the better of Mexico, at least they owned the gridiron last Saturday.

(No comment)

I went because one of my students, Nate Purcell, a walk on, plays wide receiver and special teams, so I actually had someone to cheer for. I’m happy for Nate because, having grown up in Guatemala, he’s never had a chance to play football. So it’s a little exciting for him. What was probably more exciting was the 2nd quarter touchdown he scored on a 20 yard pass.

(Nate Purcell in the end zone before his touchdown catch)

Guatemala is slated to play a team from Panama in April. Tickets are 20Q a pop, so let me know who’s in, and I’ll get tickets.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Warren said...

Hey Dan,

Jeff Warren here. I try to swim by your sight every once-a-month or so, though many times I'm carried out by the tide. Your family looks unbelievably happy. I've got two now (Karis-4 and Isaac-1.75) and one on the way.

For that next Guatemalan football game I'll try and send some of our favorite Michigan high school football game suckers with the hollow plastic sticks for distrbution at the game. Also, don't forget to have your kids start some pickup game behind the endzone with a mini-football.

I'll try to return more often to say hello. It was good to see you. I had your song 'Double Trouble' running in my head the other day - pure honey to my ears. Tell your family hello.

jeffro tull

9:25 PM  
Blogger Daniel Todd said...

Jeff, send me an email, we gotta talk. Use djoetodd@gmail.com.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Chuck Scott said...

Dan,
You don't know me. I stumbled onto your blog somehow. I have been to Guate, and have a friend who is a missionary in Peronia. Since returning to usa I have had a place in my heart for Guate, esp the oppressed and poor. Anyway just wanted to say hey, and if you feel like sending an email or 2 you can reach me at chuck@ginkworld.net.
Peace and God Bless

3:21 PM  
Blogger Biggie said...

Im from the el salavador football team we just had guatemala pay us a visit and we won. Thier are two more exhibition games coming up and we will be going against Tapachula, so it should be a good match.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home