Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Word on Teaching at the Christian Academy of Guatemala

I realize I have been quiet about teaching, which has consumed much of my time these last nine months. Maybe too much. Still, it has been good for me, and worth it. Several of my students claim mine is their favorite class, but that could be because I am easy. I have also been told more than once by my 12th graders that it’s more like a Philosophy class than English, but English was always more of an infatuation, not my area of expertise. I might have done better with History. Or maybe P.E. In any case, I am grateful for the year I’ve had, how it has forced me to speak in ways I have never spoken before, to read wonderful things I have not read since high school or college, and how I have been privileged to spend so much time with these good kids. They are every one of them filled with the beauty of promise (or is it the promise of beauty?), and I am glad to have known them. These deserve at the very least a page of this notebook.


(English 11, American Literature)


(English 12, British Literature)

1 Comments:

Blogger Father of 3 said...

Hi ... great work you are doing in Guatemala. Would you please e mail me at Hugo713@aol.com so I can discuss a charity project with you. This is not SPAM. Thank you, John

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home