Monday, December 09, 2013

Kristin's Posting


I thought it would only be right if I added my own posting with my highlights of the trip.

The obvious answer is spending time with the girls. Every home that we went too, and every opportunity we were able to be with the girls, was a highlight. It was amazing to watch the girls who have been with Destiny Rescue for a couple of years, to see the confidence they were starting to gain. I also loved watching the community they have created, between the workers/volunteers and the girls, and the girls with each other. I rarely saw a girl by herself, she usually would have her arms linked with another while they would giggle and laugh. Watching them laugh, was priceless to me. Their smiles were heart warming and beautiful. 
A beautiful smile

Destiny Cafe--their coffee drinks were fantastic

Girls laughing at the amusement park

I was able to get my haircut at the Destiny Salon, and I loved it. It was the best my hair looked in Thailand, seriously. The girls are trained at the salon to cut, color and style hair and I was amazed by the quality of the salon and the styles and cut they did with all of us.

My finish look

I loved our team. I truly did. I felt so fortunate to connect with each of the team members and to be part of it. I know that I have new friends for life from this trip, something that does not happen often. The hugs, support, encouragement, acceptance, accountability and love that I received from each of them was a highlight for me. Both Dan and I felt like we stumbled across these sweet connections in such a short period of time, it was almost like going to college again!  Since our trip, we have already done 1 video conference and are hoping to do another one soon. I'm thinking we need a reunion trip somewhere in the Midwest so we can all connect again.
The guys in their "sassy pants"

Our team in front of one of the Destiny Rescue homes

It was fun to watch Dan teach the girls English. I never see him in his teaching role, and it was when he really became alive on the trip. I looked down the table and all the girls were laughing and having fun while playing a speed game with English words with him. It was amazing to go on this trip together. I also told him numerous times how much I like him and how he needs to take me on trips more often, away from our daily lives. I'm so thankful as we approach our 16 year anniversary this week, that we still love each other.           
Our hearts breaking listening to Cory speak at the international office
I love this photo

Dan teaching the girls English

I really was fascinated by the lantern festival. I bought 4 huge lanterns for our team to let go, for $3. I wish you could have seen us light the first one on the street with hundreds of people sitting on the side of the road waiting for the parade to start. Our fearless leader, David, lit it and had to chase it down the street as it would not go up in the air. We were afraid it was going to crash into people and burn them. The monks taught us to put it on the ground before sending it up and we were more successful until one of them crashed into a tower. I cannot imagine this being a safe tradition to do, at least for clueless Americans. Either way, it was beautiful to watch the lights float in the air, especially at the temple with the monks helping.
David about to chase it down the street

The monks showing a boy how to do it

I loved Thailand. The people were beautiful. I expected to be ripped off by the natives at the market, to be judged for being American, to feel unsafe walking the streets, and to be exhausted by the language barrier. I was wrong, if anything it was the opposite. The people were respectful to us, I never felt unsafe, I sensed the Thais wanting to share with us their culture and being proud of it, and we laughed a lot while working through the language barriers.
Chaing Rai

I'm so thankful for the support we had to make this trip even possible. More than anything, I hope and pray each of you have an opportunity to do something like we did, to see first hand what is happening on the other side of the world. The one thing you must know, is this: there is immense healing and joy happening in Thailand. There is hope and resiliency in all of these girls. I saw the light, in dark circumstances. This is the story and message I want to bring back to all of you.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Wise said...

True stories...

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home