Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Chiang Rai, Part 2 (the Rescue Home)

One of our next stops was the rescue home where we met Sue, this amazing therapist from Australia (or New Zealand, I can't remember) who blew our minds, in her own quiet way, with the stories she shared of the trauma these rescued girls have to work through.

Rescue Home, Chiang Rai

Salon training facility

Sue attributed her efficacy as a therapist in Chiang Rai to Jesus, and if you’ve read and believe the Gospels, this will come as no surprise, since Jesus loved to put broken people back together again. She said when she ran a practice back in Australia working with sexually abused girls, with a large staff and all the resources she could ever want, she was nowhere near as effective as she is in Chiang Rai with these girls. What struck me about Sue was this confounding combination of intelligence, faith, and humility, which were evident in every hushed word she spoke. She told us Jesus heals these girls quickly. When one of our team asked, “How many months does it take?” she retorted, “Months? You mean weeks.”
On the same campus as the rescue home is the production facility where all the Destiny Rescue products get hand made by rescued girls—jewelry, bags, wallets, etc. The four-story building is impressive, one of the taller buildings in all of Chiang Rai. 

Production Facility

When we toured the facility, several girls were at work at sewing machines or sitting on the floor, and they were talking and listening to music and seemed, for the most part, to be quietly enjoying themselves. We tip-toed around, trying not to get in their way, or stare too hard, or ask unintelligible questions.



After buying a few things and taking a few pictures, we went to the top floor, which was the best yoga space I have ever seen. The view was extraordinary.

Happy Couple (photo by Marah Grant) 

Of all things, we found kick boxing equipment up there (used, I guess, for self-defense classes one the rescue workers teaches) and to be honest, it was kinda hot watching my wife throw down with big Brian from Texas. That's right, she messed with Texas. That's my girl!


Left jab, Kristin Todd  (photo by Marah Grant) 

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Wise said...

True stories...Sue's talk was definitely a highlight...

Part of what she said, verbatim:

"There’s another thing that we have here. As Christians we have the God factor. I think where sin abounds, Christ much more.

I worked for a Christian organization in Australia with secular children. So often I couldn’t bring the gospel. But when the gospel is brought to these children here, there is something I think radical that happens with the kids. I know, I’ve seen it with my own eyes. God touches them in the most incredible way, profound way.

Maybe I might spend 6 months with a child in Australia, and they might still have some behavioral problems. But here, when I think because of the horrendous things kids have been through, when God touches these children, he really does it.

You know, I’ve got 26 years of experience in this field, and because of language and other things, there was much of my experience that I couldn’t bring. To begin with I was incredibly frustrated, right, until I actually started relying on God.

He I believe, I know, he’s pulled them out of the brothel, and he’s pulled them out for a reason. And it’s to heal them, set them free, and get them saved. And I can say with all honesty and integrity, that’s what we see happen."

Thanks for taking and sharing the images. Greatly appreciated.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home